The holidays! Food is never more in focus than this time of year. After your gastric sleeve or gastric bypass, it can be hard to know how to navigate all the different meals and celebrations. How do I choose what to eat? Can I say no if someone offers me something I don’t want or can’t eat? How much should I eat? To help alleviate some of the worries that might come with the holidays after your bariatric surgery, we’ve put together a list of 5 things to help you maintain weight over Christmas after WLS!
- Choose Protein First. How do you support your healthy eating with so many delicious foods around this time of year? Choose your protein first! Calorie for calorie, protein is the macronutrient that keeps you full the longest. It also helps you avoid swings and crashes in blood sugars while still saving some room for holiday treats.
- Stay Active. It’s easy for exercise and physical activity to take a backseat during this busy time of year. However, staying active not only helps you maintain weight over the holidays, but also helps relieve stress, supports your immune system, and tames sugar cravings. Whether you use this as alone time to get away from the hustle and bustle – especially when the gyms are a little less busy right now – or have active outings with family and friends, there are many ways to keep your body moving during the holiday season.
- Enjoy Your Favorites. It’s not all about maintaining weight over the holidays. We all have those foods we look forward to on the holiday table, and it’s ok to have them! Having bariatric surgery isn’t about being “perfect” – it’s about finding balance and enjoying what life has to offer! Of course, be careful if you are prone to dumping as that will put a ruffle in any day!
- Be Mindful with Alcohol. Whether it’s a glass of bubbly, a holiday cocktail, or a pint at the pub, alcohol tends to affect people a lot more after WLS. Alcohol also lowers our inhibitions making it easier to choose less healthy food options. Not only that, there is evidence that shows that alcohol affects the brain in a way that makes it think you’re starving. So, of course, we want to eat something after having a few drinks! Some tips: don’t drink alcohol on an empty stomach, take it slowly, and be sure to drink water between other drinks!
- Take Your Bariatric Vitamins. Sharing the holidays also means sharing germs. Support your immune system and keep your healthy routines in tow by making sure you take your bariatric vitamins every day. Need some support? Log your vitamins and join our vitamin challenge on the BariBuddy App!
Take care of yourself this holiday season and remember to enjoy yourself along the way!
Looking for more? Check out our other blog posts!
Get complete nutrition with
Baricol Complete is a vitamin and mineral supplement created by doctors and dieticians using to the Nordic guidelines to give you all you need after WLS in one product. Choose between powder, effervescent, chewable, and tablets. Recommended by healthcare professionals.